TAKE A memory HOMEMementos to remember your magical winter vacation
by Tessa Sweeney & Bonny Makarewicz
Overflowing with jewelry, apparel, art, home décor and upscale fashions, Whistler is truly a shopper's paradise. The retail opportunities alone make Whistler a destination that can't be missed. Indulge and treat yourself by taking a piece of your Whistler experience home with you. Take a stroll through our winter wonderland and be sure to pop into the many boutique shops throughout the Village and beyond. With a mix of over 200 stores just waiting to be explored, you'll be sure to find that special something. Here are some small luxuries that will keep the memories of your trip alive for years to come.
1. These fashionable and comfortable boots are perfect for a stroll around the Village and a wonderful way to keep your feet warm, dry and stylish for the rest of the winter season at home. Stop by shoe retailer SOLES OF WHISTLER, located at the Westin Resort & Spa in Whistler Village, to pick up your pair of Cushe-brand boots designed in the United Kingdom. The Manuka Lite Rider models are 100-per-cent waterproof in addition to looking great. You can put away your old galoshes when you get home, to wander around on slushy days.
2. Everyone will want to know where you got this funky zip-neck sweater by Neve Designs, and you can tell them you found it in Whistler. New this year to ski and clothing retailer CAN-SKI in the Village and at Creekside, these fun and retro-style women's sweaters show off original artwork inspired by iconic mountain imagery. The Gondola sweater presents a Whistler motif with a luxurious blend of silk and merino wool. Hurry down to make sure you get your special selection because each garment is hand-printed in limited quantities. Plus, You'll want to pull this on at après-ski before your vacation is over.
If it's outerwear you're looking for, Neve's Jane down jacket is a must-have for your winter wardrobe. The 600-fill goose down and fleece liner will keep you toasty warm, while the 100 per cent nylon ripstop DWR finish repels water when snow turns to rain.
3. If you are looking to add some Whistler flair into your home cooking or entertaining, stop by WHISTLER KITCHEN WORKS in Marketplace to find that perfect item. Made by Chehoma in Belgium, this Nordic-inspired tableware makes a great addition to any dining set. These handcrafted mugs and plates will wow your guests as you fill them in on all the special moments from your resort stay.
4. Forget about sugar plums and dream about Whistler — there is no better place to put you into the holiday spirit. Stop by the PANDORA STORE in Whistler Village Centre to check out their holiday-themed charms, any of which will make a great addition to your bracelet. What better keepsake of your winter visit?
5. and 6. The memory of your trip to Whistler's Scandinavian baths will be one to reflect upon any time you need to relax. Luckily, you can purchase one of their cozy robes to help take you back. Also available to bring home from the SCANDINAVE SPA north of Whistler Village, is its exclusive blend massage oil. Made with the therapeutic ingredients of soya, azulene and chamomile extracts, grab a bottle to help enhance your massage experience after the vacation's over.
7. No matter where you'll be, your Whistler vacation will come to mind each time you hit the slopes on a fantastic brand-new pair of skis purchased on your visit. Rossignol is celebrating the 'S' in its all-new ski line this season. The Soul 7 ski with patented Air Tip technology and lightweight paulownia core will be the chosen ski for the backcountry and for freeriding this winter. CANSKI locations in the Village and at Creekside will be carrying the Soul 7 and the rest of the line: the Smash 7, Squad 7, Sin 7, Saffron 7, Sassy 7, and Savory 7.
The Inukshuk was the symbol of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games hosted in Whistler. These stacked stone figures created by the Inuit people of Canada's Arctic symbolize the importance of friendship and unity. Pendants in their image have been specially created by a Canadian designer for KEIR FINE JEWELLERY in Whistler Village. Available in 14-karat white or yellow gold, the pendants come in three sizes, with our without the diamond and chain. Keir also has a great "Whistler Collection" of Rembrandt charms that can be made into earrings, pendants or put on a bracelet to capture any Whistler moment.
Photos by Bonny Makarewicz and courtesy the various retailers
You'll find fashion and function that is reminiscent of Whistler by visiting AMOS & ANDES on the Village Stroll, which has a wide variety of men's and women's products and accessories to keep you warm. A perfect example is this women's felted wool coat by Italian designer Angela Mara, with one-of-a- kind detailing and a shape that will accentuate your silhouette. Why not grab a matching, handspun yarn scarf made right here in Whistler by Jane Roberts and an Italian Pistil cap?
Some mountain-inspired art can be a gorgeous addition to your home that brings back memories of your Whistler trip on a daily basis. Brush strokes of the alpine will bring to mind your time spent viewing mountain peaks on your visit. "Red in the Valley," an acrylic-on-canvas work created by Alberta-based artist Linda Wilder is a great example. Her bold strokes with a palette knife help bring you back to the backcountry. Wilder's work is exclusive to the MOUNTAIN GALLERIES AT THE FAIRMONT in Upper Village, so you know you'll be getting a piece that is uniquely Canadian.